“ Architecture should speak of its time and place, but yearn for timelessness “ – Frank Gehry
An architect always has a vision of future while designing. The design will cater to present and the future needs of the person and the society. Architects are predictors of cities and communities in the future and they try to act upon this knowledge while designing.A
The architectural industry faces new challenges and opportunities every year. Technology is evolving at a rapid rate which is leading to innovation but also the end-user needs and demands are getting advanced.
These two components are the basis for most of the trends in architecture. These architectural trends usually focus on unique things such as Modern Architecture, Eco-Friendly Designs, Modern Construction Materials, etc.
Latest technology trends adapted in the architectural world
History of construction materials says that the traditional concrete paste has dominated the construction works in the past, while the experimentation in the field of nanomaterials has led to its successful implementation.
High-Technology materials resulted in the profound use of nanomaterials in the construction field of architecture. This resulted in making construction materials more durable, environment friendly and easier to mold.
New construction methods are resulting in the combination of different materials to increase the building value.
These methods are used to adopt various techniques that promote the use of recycled materials like mixing plastic, living materials, soil, etc to achieve more dynamic and durable construction materials.
Smart buildings are the innovations of modern architecture. They have incorporated high tech modules to make this a reality.
These buildings are energy-efficient. For e.g. wireless technologies are used to promote remote heating, smart lighting, functionalities of system etc. Hence they are efficient in energy conservations with the use of remote comfort and thermal comforts.
Community Conscious Design
As the technology evolves, the design process and context has grown enormously. The design process involves the consideration of built and natural environments with the interaction of humans.
These designs also promote the improvisation of interaction between people and the environment. The aim of these designs is to promote eco-friendly community designs without losing the context.
Fast growing technologies and human activities have resulted in the negative impact on the climate.
The architecture also acts as a service industry by addressing a few issues in the country.
Sustainable architecture is one sector of promoting green architecture which produces eco-friendly and energy sufficient buildings by using various materials and techniques. For e.g. Water filtration systems to conserve water, Design of eco-friendly air conditioning, heating, ventilation systems , etc to reduce the negative impact on the environment.
Technology trends in education
Architectural schools which offer B.Arch. course and M.Arch. course are actively working towards the adaptation of new technology trends in Architecture.
This adaptation in academics will help students in providing insight about future technologies related to architecture.
- The architecture is all about designing and construction.
- Architecture consists of parametric design tools which are used to create outstanding structures.
- Presently, the use of large-scale 3D printers will push the materiality of those designed structures.
- Hence it is greatly working on expanding the limits of construction technologies.
- Virtual reality is one such platform which is creating an impact on learning and implementation processes.
- Architecture is all about imagination and implementation. Creating spaces and experiencing it virtually gives a new dimension to architecture.
- An artificial world where people can walk through, observe and see things gives the touch of reality but in a virtual platform.
- These spaces are created by using a new combination of computer graphics, wireless technology, projectors, polarised glass etc.
- Virtual reality has had rapid developments in years and is applied in most of the fields.
- Virtual reality is being used in most of the sectors of education. Few engineering colleges in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai etc, are trying to adopt this technique in their teaching methods to impart highly advanced practical understanding of concepts in students.