The Pokémon games are always getting released, at least once per two years.
For any new system from Nintendo, there will be a new Pokémon game for it.
So, you can find plenty of Pokémon games right now if you just try to go back to the original Game Boy era. But there’s more.
The fans of this series are also actively creating their own Pokémon games.
Whether it’s in the form of ROM hacks or original game made with a specific engine, you can find plenty of “off the shelf” Pokémon games that you can play today.
You can play them on various devices, not limited to the Nintendo consoles.
Best Pokemon Rom Hacks List
Here are the top 20 Pokémon ROM hacks that you can play today:
Pokémon Eclipse RPG
Pokémon Eclipse RPG is an online RPG game you can play on your browser, which has Pokémon as its main theme.
The game is regularly updated, and currently it is in version 1.5. In this game, you can explore the new region called Apholite, while catching different Pokémon creatures along the way.
You can also find many powerful Pokémon here.
- The world in this game is constantly being expanded, so you can explore more areas as time goes by.
- You can play this game online on your browser without the need to install any game software.
- You will need to uncover the mystery of the Apholite region and fighting its creator along the way.
- There are also various mini games you can play on Pokémon Eclipse RPG.
- Plenty of Pokémon creatures can be found, trained, and battled in this game.
Pokémon Polished Crystal
Pokémon Polished Crystal is the ROM hack that is made from the Crystal version, which was released for the GBA system in the year 2000.
In this hacked version, there are plenty of improvements that make the Crystal version more polished to play.
The improvements include Pokémon, moves, battle mechanics, Overworld mechanics, Nuzlocke mode, maps, events, and more.
- You can catch all the 253 Pokémon creatures in this game.
- There are new moves that you can perform, such as Bug Buzz, Astonish, Avalanche, Disarm Voice, and many more.
- There are many battle mechanics from Generation VI that have been added to this game.
- There are many new locations, such as Viridian Forest, Celadon Hotel, Seafoam Islands, and more.
- The additional in-game events are also being added to this hacked version, involving trading, Team Rocket, move tutors, prizes, and more.
More Information – Pokémon Polished Crystal
Pokémon Mega Adventure
Pokémon Mega Adventure is a custom Pokémon game that retains the regular storyline of all Pokémon games, which is the journey of the protagonist to become a Pokémon champion.
This game features a region called Akito, where you can roam and explore to catch hundreds of Pokémon creatures and battling them with others.
You have 3 starter Pokémon to choose: Squirtle, Charmander, and Bulbasaur.
- There are 721 creatures that you can catch in this game.
- You can also use mega stones for Mega Evolution.
- Some Pocket Monsters from Generation VII are available.
- You can also get Mystery Gifts in this game.
- You can explore the region called Akito to pave your way to become a Pokémon champion.
Pokémon Ash Gray
Pokémon Ash Gray is the ROM hack of the FireRed version, which faithfully follows the season 1 anime series.
Thus, you can find plenty of Pokémon creatures that are featured in the anime version, and additionally, some newer monsters as well.
The graphics are still very much the same as the graphics of FireRed on GBA.
- It has monsters that you can catch from season 1 anime series, along with new creatures.
- You will play as Ash, following the storyline of season 1 anime series in this game.
- There are also contents that are included from the banned episodes of the anime series.
- It includes only original Pokémon without any fake creatures.
- You can play the side story titled Holiday Hi-Jynx in this game.
More Information – Pokémon Ash Gray
Pokémon Blazed Glazed
Pokémon Blazed Glazed is the ROM hack of the Emerald version, applying various improvements to make the Emerald version even better to play.
It is available for the Game Boy Advance system. In this game, you can expect to see new moves that are available from Generation IV to Generation VI, as well as new creatures, stats, and other changes.
- It changes all the move sets and rosters from the Emerald version.
- This hacked version gives you the new stats for your pocket monsters.
- There are also new creatures being added, which are not available in the original Emerald version.
- The wild distributions are altered, so you can see quite a bit of changes for wild creatures in this game.
- It also has move-pool additions and some typing changes.
Pokémon Dark Rising
Pokémon Dark Rising is the ROM hack of the FireRed version, which you can play on the GBA system.
In this game, you can find 386 of creatures that you can catch and battle with, and you can also explore the regions of Kanto, Johto, Unova, Sinnoh, and Hoenn.
This ROM hack was released alongside the Kaizo Version.
- It has moves that are included from the newer generation Pokémon releases.
- You can get up to 8 badges in this game, with each gym leader having their own unique Pokémon for you to battle.
- Egg moves can be learned by leveling up instead of breeding.
- You can also add more experience points in your gameplay by battling Nurse Joy in the Pokémon Center.
- There are DW abilities that you can learn in this game, such as Drizzle Poliwag, Speed Boost Torchic, and more.
Pokémon Light Platinum
Pokémon Light Platinum is the GBA ROM hack that is made from the Ruby version, and it has been completed and fixed of bugs.
In other words, you can play this game without any problems and without worrying about bugs and glitches.
It can give you the complete experience that is better than the original Ruby version of the game.
There are plenty of improvements you can enjoy in this game.
- You can explore the new region called ZHERY.
- In this game, you can meet with the new leads, new Elite Four, and new rivals.
- You can find creatures from all regions in this game, and you can also catch legendary creatures from the Ruby version.
- The game has new sprites, new events, and new tiles.
- It has the Pokémon World Championship as the final event.
Pokémon Adventure Red Chapter
Pokémon Adventure Red Chapter is the ROM hack of the FireRed version for the GBA system, which follows closely the Pokémon Adventure manga.
Aside from following the storyline of the Pokémon Adventure manga, it also has updated graphics, and it has some events changed to make them longer.
It incorporates the original Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green version.
- You can explore new regions in this game, with updated graphics and music.
- You can increase your level up to level 255.
- This game also has mega evolution, battle bond, and fusion Pokémon.
- It has the cycling day and night system.
- It allows you to customize your characters along with mugshots.
Pokémon Sage is the fan-made game that is made from the RPG Maker XP engine, providing you the fan-made original gameplay involving Pokémon creatures.
This game can be played as a Windows game, and it gives you the original experience in the world of Pokémon.
You can play the demo from the official page.
- It uses the RPG Maker XP engine along with Pokémon Essentials.
- The game is playable on Windows, with very low minimum requirements.
- It has a set of new fan-made Pokémon creatures that you can catch in this game.
- You can play with original characters, Pokémon, and locations in this game.
- The demo is available for you to play, which allows you to get up to the third badge.
More Information – Pokémon Sage
Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition
Have you ever wondered how it will be to play as Team Rocket? In Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition, you can do it.
This ROM hack of FireRed gives you the opportunity to play as Team Rocket.
Yes, one of the villains in the Pokémon series.
Of course, as Team Rocket, you will be able to wreak havoc throughout the entire game and enjoy doing so.
- Instead of playing as the protagonist, you will play as the villain in this game, which is Team Rocket.
- This game is the ROM hack of the FireRed version on the GBA.
- You will experience the entire storyline in the perspective of Team Rocket.
- You can steal Pokémon creatures from every trainer in this game.
- You can battle popular characters and uncover the true story behind Red’s adventure.
Pokémon Uranium is a unique fan-made Pokémon game built with Pokémon Essentials on the RPG Maker XP engine.
So, this game can be played on your Windows PC by installing it just like any other games.
In this game, you can find 166 new Pokémon and 34 Pokémon creatures available in the main series.
New skills and move-sets are also introduced.
- You can play this game on Windows PC.
- New pocket monsters available in this game include Dunseraph, Dunsparce, Metalynx, Yatagaryu, and more.
- You can also use various moves in this game, such as Absorb, Double Hit, Dragon Claw, and many more.
- Various abilities are also available, including Anticipation, Natural Cure, Bad Dreams, and more.
- Lots of items you can find in this game, such as Arbokite, Amulet Coin, Big Root, Nugget, and many more.
Pokémon Planet is the free-to-play MMORPG with the Pokémon theme, which you can play online on your browsers.
In this game, you will take on an adventure as a trainer that has the aspiration to become a Pokémon champion.
Of course, you will play alongside other online players, and you can also battle them online.
You don’t need to download any software to play this game.
- You can catch, train, and evolve hundreds of creatures in this game.
- You can play this game online with your friends without spending any money for anything.
- You can create clans with other trainers to determine the best trainers among you.
- Compared to the regular Pokémon games, you can explore the areas that are big and wide in this game.
- You can play this game on any browser without having to install anything.
Pokémon Phoenix Rising
Pokémon Phoenix Rising is the fan-made game that is made with the RPG Maker XP engine along with Pokémon Essentials, giving you the new experience of adventure in the world full of pocket monsters.
It features the storyline that can branch based on the choices that you make throughout the game.
Also, it still uses the traditional RPG style as common in the official releases.
- You can explore the region called Hawthorne in this game, where there are plenty of pocket monsters to catch and train.
- The storyline is full of choices that you can make, giving you different branches in the story.
- You can perform Mega Evolution for your Pokémon creatures in this game.
- Aside from regular pocket monsters, there are also relic Pokémon creatures you can catch in this game.
- It offers rich characters with moral choices during the gameplay.
More Information – Pokémon Phoenix Rising
Pokémon Showdown is the Pokémon-themed battle simulator game that you can play online.
You can play this game either via your browser, or you can install this game directly on your computer.
In this game, you can choose Pokémon characters and battle other characters with other online players.
- You can choose various Pokémon characters and battle with others in this online battle simulator.
- The battles are fully animated, so you can enjoy each battle in this game.
- You can build your own team, or you can choose the randomly generated team.
- It is free to play, and you can play it on your browser or install it on your computer.
- You can find plenty of Pokémon creatures from different generations in this game.
Pokémon MMO 3D
Pokémon MMO 3D is a free MMO game that you can play on your computer, featuring 3D Pokémon, world, and character models.
In this game, you will meet with other trainers from all over the world to explore the new region.
You can catch plenty of pocket monsters in this game, as well as battle other trainers in real time.
- You can play this game completely for free, and the game is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- You can play this game with other trainers all over the world and explore the new 3D Pokémon-themed world.
- You can catch plenty of creatures in this game and battle them with other trainers.
- There are plenty of Easter eggs hidden in the game, which you can find as you explore the vast world areas in this game.
- It features real-time battles between you and other players.
Pokémon Revolution Online
Pokémon Revolution Online is the online Pokémon game that you can play on your devices, featuring 2D graphics.
The game is available for multiple platforms, including desktop (Mac, Windows, Linux) and mobile devices (Android).
It allows you to start the journey of becoming a Pokémon master with other online players from around the world.
- It is an online game that offers competitive player vs. player gameplay elements.
- You can explore multiple new regions in this game, with in-game bosses spread all around them.
- You can communicate with other players from within the game and establish your own community.
- There are various events that you can participate in the game from time to time.
- It also offers you the storyline that you can enjoy along the way.
Pokémon Mega Power
Pokémon Mega Power is the GBA ROM hack of the Emerald version, featuring plenty of improvements from the original version.
In this game, you can explore some new regions, such as Ivara, Sevii Islands, and Lande, as well as meet with new characters.
It features pocket monsters from up to Generation VII. The graphics are still mostly the same as the original Emerald version.
- It has its own storyline involving the protagonist’s attempt to evolve a Pokémon without having to use mega stones.
- You can explore new regions and meet with new characters in this game.
- You can choose between male and female for your protagonist.
- The Pokémon selection is expanded to include Generation IV to Generation VII.
- It also includes some new tiles in the game.
Pokémon Emerald Kaizo
Pokémon Emerald Kaizo is the ROM hack of the Emerald version specifically designed for those looking for more challenges.
This ROM hack offers you the highest difficulty level that will guarantee to give you more challenges in playing this game.
The sole purpose of the game is to make the Emerald version even more difficult to play.
- All aspects of the game have been changed to make it more difficult to play.
- When you battle the other trainers in this game, you can feel that the battles are becoming even more difficult to win as you go along.
- There are 386 Pokémon creatures that you can find in this game.
- Some creatures are only available post games, meaning that you can’t catch them unless you’ve completed the game.
- The gym leaders will give you even more challenges with more powerful Pokémon you need to defeat.
Pokémon Flora Sky
Pokémon Flora Sky is a ROM hack of the Emerald version, which is 100% completed.
It means that you can play the game from start to finish without having to wait for any more updates.
The game uses the graphics and most aspects of the Emerald version, but with certain improvements in various aspects of the game, such as new Pokémon creatures that you can catch.
- It includes Pokémon creatures available in Generation IV and V.
- You can play a new storyline in this game, as well as new events for the legendary Pokémon.
- The creatures look better in this ROM hack because the sprites have been improved.
- You can also find new moves, new maps, new mini games, and more.
- New character is also available as the protagonist of this game.
As the ROM hack of the FireRed version on the GBA system, Pokémon Gaia delivers various new improvements that you can enjoy when playing this game.
In this game, you will explore the region called Orbtrus, which is the region that has a rich history.
Your character will follow the storyline that will uncover the history behind this region along with your adventure.
- You can find and catch Pokémon creatures usually available in regions of Kanto, Unova, Johto, Kalos, Hoenn, and Sinnoh.
- It is jam-packed with new moves, modern abilities, and modern items.
- It has the updated sprites for Pokémon creatures, trainers, Overworld, and more.
- It has underwater maps that you can dive into.
- It has original songs that you can enjoy throughout the game.
These are the best Pokémon ROM hacks that you can play on various platforms.
Whether you want to play it on the Nintendo system, emulator, browser, computer, or mobile device, you can find the game that fits with your preferences.
These hacked Pokémon games will offer the adventure and gameplay style that you would never experience on the regular releases.
So, you should try these games. Find the one that you like and start playing. Happy gaming!